There are a range of vaginal infections that can be contracted. Genital tract infections can include symptoms of pain when urinating, vaginal itching, vaginal discharge, genital warts, blisters and sores, amongst other symptoms. It is essential to see your Gynaecologist if you are experiencing any symptoms out of the ordinary or seem to be developing a vaginal infection so that your doctor can relieve the symptoms and rule out any serious sexually transmitted infections/disease (STI/STD).

What kinds of gynaecological infections should I look out for?
Any symptoms and discomfort should be discussed with your gynaecologist, but you should be aware of the following infections:

  • Bacterial vaginosis – this infection may cause pain when urinating as well as thin, grey, white or green vaginal discharge accompanied by a foul odour and vaginal itching.
  • Yeast infection (Candidas) – this is a common fungal infection that affects 3 of 4 women at some point in life. It causes irritation, soreness, discharge and intense itching of the vagina and the vulva.
  • Trichomoniasis – this type of infection causes a greenish-yellow, sometimes frothy discharge, vaginal spotting or bleeding, vaginal itching, soreness and pain during intercourse or urination.
  • Painful and painless ulcers of the genital tract
  • Purulent yellow/greenish discharge
  • Vaginal warts

Sexually transmitted infections
While many sexually transmitted diseases can have no symptoms, it is still possible to carry the virus and infect others and thus any signs should be discussed with your gynaecologist. It is also crucial to have yourself, and your partner tested for an STI, including the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) before becoming sexually active with them. Symptoms of an STI include:

  • Any rash, bumps, sores or warts in or around the vagina
  • Swelling or redness of the vulva
  • Pain or burning sensation when urinating
  • Pain during sex
  • A change in discharge colour
  • An increased amount of vaginal discharge
  • Foul-smelling vaginal discharge

If you experience any of these symptoms, it is essential to see your gynaecologist.